• Protection Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of protecting, or the state of being protected; preservation from loss, injury, or annoyance; defense; shelter; as, the weak need protection.
- (n.) A writing that protects or secures from molestation or arrest; a pass; a safe-conduct; a passport.
- (n.) A theory, or a policy, of protecting the producers in a country from foreign competition in the home market by the imposition of such discriminating duties on goods of foreign production as will restrict or prevent their importation; -- opposed to free trade.
- (n.) That which protects or preserves from injury; a defense; a shield; a refuge.
• Protectionism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The doctrine or policy of protectionists. See Protection, 4.
• Protectionist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who favors protection. See Protection, 4.