• Prover Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, proves.
• Proverb Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To provide with a proverb.
- (v. t.) To name in, or as, a proverb.
- (n.) A striking or paradoxical assertion; an obscure saying; an enigma; a parable.
- (n.) A drama exemplifying a proverb.
- (v. i.) To write or utter proverbs.
- (n.) An old and common saying; a phrase which is often repeated; especially, a sentence which briefly and forcibly expresses some practical truth, or the result of experience and observation; a maxim; a saw; an adage.
- (n.) A familiar illustration; a subject of contemptuous reference.
• Proverbialist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who makes much use of proverbs in speech or writing; one who composes, collects, or studies proverbs.