• Provide Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To supply; to afford; to contribute.
- (v. t.) To furnish; to supply; -- formerly followed by of, now by with.
- (v. t.) To look out for in advance; to procure beforehand; to get, collect, or make ready for future use; to prepare.
- (v. t.) To establish as a previous condition; to stipulate; as, the contract provides that the work be well done.
- (v. i.) To procure supplies or means in advance; to take measures beforehand in view of an expected or a possible future need, especially a danger or an evil; -- followed by against or for; as, to provide against the inclemency of the weather; to provide for the education of a child.
- (v. t.) To foresee.
- (v. t.) To appoint to an ecclesiastical benefice before it is vacant. See Provisor.
- (v. i.) To stipulate previously; to condition; as, the agreement provides for an early completion of the work.
• Providently Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a provident manner.