• Province Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A country or region, more or less remote from the city of Rome, brought under the Roman government; a conquered country beyond the limits of Italy.
- (n.) A region under the supervision or direction of any special person; the district or division of a country, especially an ecclesiastical division, over which one has jurisdiction; as, the province of Canterbury, or that in which the archbishop of Canterbury exercises ecclesiastical authority.
- (n.) A country or region dependent on a distant authority; a portion of an empire or state, esp. one remote from the capital.
- (n.) The proper or appropriate business or duty of a person or body; office; charge; jurisdiction; sphere.
- (n.) Specif.: Any political division of the Dominion of Canada, having a governor, a local legislature, and representation in the Dominion parliament. Hence, colloquially, The Provinces, the Dominion of Canada.
- (n.) A region of country; a tract; a district.