• Prune Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To lop or cut off the superfluous parts, branches, or shoots of; to clear of useless material; to shape or smooth by trimming; to trim: as, to prune trees; to prune an essay.
- (v. t.) To preen; to prepare; to dress.
- (v. i.) To dress; to prink; -used humorously or in contempt.
- (n.) A plum; esp., a dried plum, used in cookery; as, French or Turkish prunes; California prunes.
- (v. t.) To cut off or cut out, as useless parts.
• Pruner Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who prunes, or removes, what is superfluous.
- (n.) Any one of several species of beetles whose larvae gnaw the branches of trees so as to cause them to fall, especially the American oak pruner (Asemum moestum), whose larva eats the pith of oak branches, and when mature gnaws a circular furrow on the inside nearly to the bark. When the branches fall each contains a pupa.