• Pruning Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of trimming, or removing what is superfluous.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Prune
- (n.) That which is cast off by bird in pruning her feathers; leavings.
• Prune Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To lop or cut off the superfluous parts, branches, or shoots of; to clear of useless material; to shape or smooth by trimming; to trim: as, to prune trees; to prune an essay.
- (v. t.) To preen; to prepare; to dress.
- (v. i.) To dress; to prink; -used humorously or in contempt.
- (n.) A plum; esp., a dried plum, used in cookery; as, French or Turkish prunes; California prunes.
- (v. t.) To cut off or cut out, as useless parts.