• Public Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the people; belonging to the people; relating to, or affecting, a nation, state, or community; -- opposed to private; as, the public treasury.
- (a.) Open to common or general use; as, a public road; a public house.
- (n.) The general body of mankind, or of a nation, state, or community; the people, indefinitely; as, the American public; also, a particular body or aggregation of people; as, an authors public.
- (n.) A public house; an inn.
- (a.) Open to the knowledge or view of all; general; common; notorious; as, public report; public scandal.
• Public school Definition & Synonyms
- () In Great Britain, any of various schools maintained by the community, wholly or partly under public control, or maintained largely by endowment and not carried on chiefly for profit; specif., and commonly, any of various select and usually expensive endowed schools which give a liberal modern education or prepare pupils for the universities. Eton, Harrow, Rugby, and Winchester are of this class.
- () In the United States, a free primary, grammar, or high school maintained by the local government.