• Pump Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An hydraulic machine, variously constructed, for raising or transferring fluids, consisting essentially of a moving piece or piston working in a hollow cylinder or other cavity, with valves properly placed for admitting or retaining the fluid as it is drawn or driven through them by the action of the piston.
- (v. t.) To raise with a pump, as water or other liquid.
- (n.) A low shoe with a thin sole.
- (v. t.) To draw water, or the like, from; to from water by means of a pump; as, they pumped the well dry; to pump a ship.
- (v. t.) Figuratively, to draw out or obtain, as secrets or money, by persistent questioning or plying; to question or ply persistently in order to elicit something, as information, money, etc.
- (v. i.) To work, or raise water, a pump.
• Pumpage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That which is raised by pumps, or the work done by pumps.