• Punish Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To deal with roughly or harshly; -- chiefly used with regard to a contest; as, our troops punished the enemy.
- (v. t.) To inflict a penalty for (an offense) upon the offender; to repay, as a fault, crime, etc., with pain or loss; as, to punish murder or treason with death.
- (v. t.) To impose a penalty upon; to afflict with pain, loss, or suffering for a crime or fault, either with or without a view to the offenders amendment; to cause to suffer in retribution; to chasten; as, to punish traitors with death; a father punishes his child for willful disobedience.
- (v. t.) To injure, as by beating; to pommel.
• Punishment Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Severe, rough, or disastrous treatment.
- (n.) The act of punishing.
- (n.) Any pain, suffering, or loss inflicted on a person because of a crime or offense.
- (n.) A penalty inflicted by a court of justice on a convicted offender as a just retribution, and incidentally for the purposes of reformation and prevention.
• Punisher Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who inflicts punishment.