• Quail Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any one of several American partridges belonging to Colinus, Callipepla, and allied genera, especially the bobwhite (called Virginia quail, and Maryland quail), and the California quail (Calipepla Californica).
- (v. i.) To die; to perish; hence, to wither; to fade.
- (v. i.) To become quelled; to become cast down; to sink under trial or apprehension of danger; to lose the spirit and power of resistance; to lose heart; to give way; to shrink; to cower.
- (v. t.) To cause to fail in spirit or power; to quell; to crush; to subdue.
- (v. i.) To curdle; to coagulate, as milk.
- (n.) A prostitute; -- so called because the quail was thought to be a very amorous bird.
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of Turnix and allied genera, native of the Old World, as the Australian painted quail (Turnix varius). See Turnix.
- (n.) Any gallinaceous bird belonging to Coturnix and several allied genera of the Old World, especially the common European quail (C. communis), the rain quail (C. Coromandelica) of India, the stubble quail (C. pectoralis), and the Australian swamp quail (Synoicus australis).
• Quaily Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The upland plover.