• Qualify Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To obtain legal power or capacity by taking the oath, or complying with the forms required, on assuming an office.
- (v. t.) To soothe; to cure; -- said of persons.
- (v. i.) To be or become qualified; to be fit, as for an office or employment.
- (v. t.) To give individual quality to; to modulate; to vary; to regulate.
- (v. t.) To make such as is required; to give added or requisite qualities to; to fit, as for a place, office, occupation, or character; to furnish with the knowledge, skill, or other accomplishment necessary for a purpose; to make capable, as of an employment or privilege; to supply with legal power or capacity.
- (v. t.) To reduce from a general, undefined, or comprehensive form, to particular or restricted form; to modify; to limit; to restrict; to restrain; as, to qualify a statement, claim, or proposition.
- (v. t.) Hence, to soften; to abate; to diminish; to assuage; to reduce the strength of, as liquors.
• Qualifying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Qualify