• Quarantined Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Quarantine
• Quarantine Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Specifically, the term, originally of forty days, during which a ship arriving in port, and suspected of being infected a malignant contagious disease, is obliged to forbear all intercourse with the shore; hence, such restraint or inhibition of intercourse; also, the place where infected or prohibited vessels are stationed.
- (v. t.) To compel to remain at a distance, or in a given place, without intercourse, when suspected of having contagious disease; to put under, or in, quarantine.
- (n.) A space of forty days; -- used of Lent.
- (n.) The period of forty days during which the widow had the privilege of remaining in the mansion house of which her husband died seized.