• Quicken Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To move with rapidity or activity; to become accelerated; as, his pulse quickened.
- (v. i.) To come to life; to become alive; to become vivified or enlivened; hence, to exhibit signs of life; to move, as the fetus in the womb.
- (a.) To make lively, active, or sprightly; to impart additional energy to; to stimulate; to make quick or rapid; to hasten; to accelerate; as, to quicken ones steps or thoughts; to quicken ones departure or speed.
- (a.) To shorten the radius of (a curve); to make (a curve) sharper; as, to quicken the sheer, that is, to make its curve more pronounced.
- (a.) To make alive; to vivify; to revive or resuscitate, as from death or an inanimate state; hence, to excite; to, stimulate; to incite.
• Quickening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Quicken
- (n.) The act or process of making or of becoming quick.
- (n.) The first motion of the fetus in the womb felt by the mother, occurring usually about the middle of the term of pregnancy. It has been popularly supposed to be due to the fetus becoming possessed of independent life.
• Quicken tree Definition & Synonyms
- () The European rowan tree; -- called also quickbeam, and quickenbeam. See Rowan tree.