• Quieting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Quiet
• Quiet Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Free from noise or disturbance; hushed; still.
- (v. i.) To become still, silent, or calm; -- often with down; as, be soon quieted down.
- (a.) In a state of rest or calm; without stir, motion, or agitation; still; as, a quiet sea; quiet air.
- (a.) Not showy; not such as to attract attention; undemonstrative; as, a quiet dress; quiet colors; a quiet movement.
- (a.) Not excited or anxious; calm; peaceful; placid; settled; as, a quiet life; a quiet conscience.
- (v. t.) To calm; to appease; to pacify; to lull; to allay; to tranquillize; as, to quiet the passions; to quiet clamors or disorders; to quiet pain or grief.
- (a.) The quality or state of being quiet, or in repose; as an hour or a time of quiet.
- (v. t.) To stop motion in; to still; to reduce to a state of rest, or of silence.
- (a.) Freedom from disturbance, noise, or alarm; stillness; tranquillity; peace; security.
- (a.) Not giving offense; not exciting disorder or trouble; not turbulent; gentle; mild; meek; contented.