• Quill Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A roll of dried bark; as, a quill of cinnamon or of cinchona.
- (n.) A spine of the hedgehog or porcupine.
- (n.) The fold or plain of a ruff.
- (n.) The pen of a squid. See Pen.
- (n.) A spindle, or spool, as of reed or wood, upon which the thread for the woof is wound in a shuttle.
- (v. t.) To plaint in small cylindrical ridges, called quillings; as, to quill a ruffle.
- (n.) Something having the form of a quill
- (n.) One of the large feathers of a birds wing, or one of the rectrices of the tail; also, the stock of such a feather.
- (n.) The tube of a musical instrument.
- (n.) A hollow spindle.
- (n.) A pen for writing made by sharpening and splitting the point or nib of the stock of a feather; as, history is the proper subject of his quill.
- (n.) The plectrum with which musicians strike the strings of certain instruments.
- (v. t.) To wind on a quill, as thread or yarn.
• Quillaia bark Definition & Synonyms
- () The bark of a rosaceous tree (Quillaja Saponaria), native of Chili. The bark is finely laminated, and very heavy with alkaline substances, and is used commonly by the Chilians instead of soap. Also called soap bark.