• Quill Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A roll of dried bark; as, a quill of cinnamon or of cinchona.
- (n.) A spine of the hedgehog or porcupine.
- (n.) The fold or plain of a ruff.
- (n.) The pen of a squid. See Pen.
- (n.) A spindle, or spool, as of reed or wood, upon which the thread for the woof is wound in a shuttle.
- (v. t.) To plaint in small cylindrical ridges, called quillings; as, to quill a ruffle.
- (n.) Something having the form of a quill
- (n.) One of the large feathers of a birds wing, or one of the rectrices of the tail; also, the stock of such a feather.
- (n.) The tube of a musical instrument.
- (n.) A hollow spindle.
- (n.) A pen for writing made by sharpening and splitting the point or nib of the stock of a feather; as, history is the proper subject of his quill.
- (n.) The plectrum with which musicians strike the strings of certain instruments.
- (v. t.) To wind on a quill, as thread or yarn.
• Quillwort Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any plant or species of the genus Isoetes, cryptogamous plants with a cluster of elongated four-tubed rushlike leaves, rising from a corm, and containing spores in their enlarged and excavated bases. There are about seventeen American species, usually growing in the mud under still, shallow water. So called from the shape of the shape of the leaves.