• Ranked Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Rank
• Rank Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Raised to a high degree; violent; extreme; gross; utter; as, rank heresy.
- (v. i.) To be ranged; to be set or disposed, as in a particular degree, class, order, or division.
- (n. & v.) An aggregate of individuals classed together; a permanent social class; an order; a division; as, ranks and orders of men; the highest and the lowest ranks of men, or of other intelligent beings.
- (adv.) Rankly; stoutly; violently.
- (n. & v.) Grade of official standing, as in the army, navy, or nobility; as, the rank of general; the rank of admiral.
- (superl.) Causing vigorous growth; producing luxuriantly; very rich and fertile; as, rank land.
- (v. t.) To take rank of; to outrank.
- (superl.) Luxuriant in growth; of vigorous growth; exuberant; grown to immoderate height; as, rank grass; rank weeds.
- (v. t.) To range in a particular class, order, or division; to class; also, to dispose methodically; to place in suitable classes or order; to classify.
- (n. & v.) Degree of dignity, eminence, or excellence; position in civil or social life; station; degree; grade; as, a writer of the first rank; a lawyer of high rank.
- (n. & v.) A row or line; a range; an order; a tier; as, a rank of osiers.
- (n. & v.) A line of soldiers ranged side by side; -- opposed to file. See 1st File, 1 (a).
- (superl.) Strong to the taste.
- (superl.) Strong-scented; rancid; musty; as, oil of a rank smell; rank-smelling rue.
- (superl.) Inflamed with venereal appetite.
- (v. t.) To place abreast, or in a line.
- (n. & v.) Elevated grade or standing; high degree; high social position; distinction; eminence; as, a man of rank.
- (v. i.) To have a certain grade or degree of elevation in the orders of civil or military life; to have a certain degree of esteem or consideration; as, he ranks with the first class of poets; he ranks high in public estimation.