• Reaction Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A regular or characteristic response to a stimulation of the nerves.
- () A test for typhoid fever based on the fact that blood serum of one affected, in a bouillon culture of typhoid bacilli, causes the bacilli to agglutinate and lose their motility.
- (n.) Backward tendency or movement after revolution, reform, or great progress in any direction.
- (n.) An action induced by vital resistance to some other action; depression or exhaustion of vital force consequent on overexertion or overstimulation; heightened activity and overaction succeeding depression or shock.
- (n.) The mutual or reciprocal action of chemical agents upon each other, or the action upon such chemical agents of some form of energy, as heat, light, or electricity, resulting in a chemical change in one or more of these agents, with the production of new compounds or the manifestation of distinctive characters. See Blowpipe reaction, Flame reaction, under Blowpipe, and Flame.
- (n.) Any action in resisting other action or force; counter tendency; movement in a contrary direction; reverse action.
- (n.) The force which a body subjected to the action of a force from another body exerts upon the latter body in the opposite direction.
• Reactionary Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Being, causing, or favoring reaction; as, reactionary movements.
- (n.) One who favors reaction, or seeks to undo political progress or revolution.