• Rear Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To bring up to maturity, as young; to educate; to instruct; to foster; as, to rear offspring.
- (v. i.) To rise up on the hind legs, as a horse; to become erect.
- (v. t.) To place in the rear; to secure the rear of.
- (v. t.) To rouse; to stir up.
- (v. t.) To lift and take up.
- (v. t.) To erect by building; to set up; to construct; as, to rear defenses or houses; to rear one government on the ruins of another.
- (n.) The back or hindmost part; that which is behind, or last in order; -- opposed to front.
- (a.) Being behind, or in the hindmost part; hindmost; as, the rear rank of a company.
- (adv.) Early; soon.
- (v. t.) To raise; to lift up; to cause to rise, become erect, etc.; to elevate; as, to rear a monolith.
- (n.) Specifically, the part of an army or fleet which comes last, or is stationed behind the rest.
- (v. t.) To breed and raise; as, to rear cattle.
• Rearward Definition & Synonyms
- (a. & adv.) At or toward the rear.
- (n.) The last troop; the rear of an army; a rear guard. Also used figuratively.
• Rear-horse Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A mantis.