• Receiver Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) In portable breech-loading firearms, the steel frame screwed to the breech end of the barrel, which receives the bolt or block, gives means of securing for firing, facilitates loading, and holds the ejector, cut-off, etc.
- (n.) A vessel connected with an alembic, a retort, or the like, for receiving and condensing the product of distillation.
- (n.) A vessel for receiving the exhaust steam from the high-pressure cylinder before it enters the low-pressure cylinder, in a compound engine.
- (n.) One who takes or receives in any manner.
- (n.) A vessel for receiving and containing gases.
- (n.) One who takes or buys stolen goods from a thief, knowing them to be stolen.
- (n.) A person appointed, ordinarily by a court, to receive, and hold in trust, money or other property which is the subject of litigation, pending the suit; a person appointed to take charge of the estate and effects of a corporation, and to do other acts necessary to winding up its affairs, in certain cases.
- (n.) A capacious vessel for receiving steam from a distant boiler, and supplying it dry to an engine.
- (n.) The glass vessel in which the vacuum is produced, and the objects of experiment are put, in experiments with an air pump. Cf. Bell jar, and see Illust. of Air pump.
- (n.) That portion of a telephonic apparatus, or similar system, at which the message is received and made audible; -- opposed to transmitter.
• Receivers certificate Definition & Synonyms
- () An acknowledgement of indebtedness made by a receiver under order of court to obtain funds for the preservation of the assets held by him, as for operating a railroad. Receivers certificates are ordinarily a first lien on the assets, prior to that of bonds or other securities.
• Receivership Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The state or office of a receiver.