• Record Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) That which has been, or might be, recorded; the known facts in the course, progress, or duration of anything, as in the life of a public man; as, a politician with a good or a bad record.
- (v. t.) Testimony; witness; attestation.
- (v. t.) A writing by which some act or event, or a number of acts or events, is recorded; a register; as, a record of the acts of the Hebrew kings; a record of the variations of temperature during a certain time; a family record.
- (v. t.) An authentic official copy of a document which has been entered in a book, or deposited in the keeping of some officer designated by law.
- (v. t.) To preserve the memory of, by committing to writing, to printing, to inscription, or the like; to make note of; to write or enter in a book or on parchment, for the purpose of preserving authentic evidence of; to register; to enroll; as, to record the proceedings of a court; to record historical events.
- (v. i.) To sing or repeat a tune.
- (v. t.) To repeat; to recite; to sing or play.
- (v. t.) An official contemporaneous writing by which the acts of some public body, or public officer, are recorded; as, a record of city ordinances; the records of the receiver of taxes.
- (v. i.) To reflect; to ponder.
- (v. t.) To recall to mind; to recollect; to remember; to meditate.
- (v. t.) An official contemporaneous memorandum stating the proceedings of a court of justice; a judicial record.
- (v. t.) That which serves to perpetuate a knowledge of acts or events; a monument; a memorial.
- (v. t.) That which has been publicly achieved in any kind of competitive sport as recorded in some authoritative manner, as the time made by a winning horse in a race.
- (v. t.) The various legal papers used in a case, together with memoranda of the proceedings of the court; as, it is not permissible to allege facts not in the record.
• Recorder Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who records; specifically, a person whose official duty it is to make a record of writings or transactions.
- (n.) The title of the chief judical officer of some cities and boroughs; also, of the chief justice of an East Indian settlement. The Recorder of London is judge of the Lord Mayors Court, and one of the commissioners of the Central Criminal Court.
- (n.) A kind of wind instrument resembling the flageolet.
• Recordance Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Remembrance.
• Recorded Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Record