• Recover Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Recovery.
- (v. t.) To gain as a compensation; to obtain in return for injury or debt; as, to recover damages in trespass; to recover debt and costs in a suit at law; to obtain title to by judgement in a court of law; as, to recover lands in ejectment or common recovery; to gain by legal process; as, to recover judgement against a defendant.
- (v. i.) To regain health after sickness; to grow well; to be restored or cured; hence, to regain a former state or condition after misfortune, alarm, etc.; -- often followed by of or from; as, to recover from a state of poverty; to recover from fright.
- (v. t.) To overcome; to get the better of, -- as a state of mind or body.
- (v. t.) To get or obtain again; to get renewed possession of; to win back; to regain.
- (v. t.) To make good by reparation; to make up for; to retrieve; to repair the loss or injury of; as, to recover lost time.
- (v. t.) To cover again.
- (v. i.) To make ones way; to come; to arrive.
- (v. i.) To obtain a judgement; to succeed in a lawsuit; as, the plaintiff has recovered in his suit.
- (v. t.) To rescue; to deliver.
- (v. t.) To gain by motion or effort; to obtain; to reach; to come to.
- (v. t.) To restore from sickness, faintness, or the like; to bring back to life or health; to cure; to heal.
• Recovery Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Act of regaining the natural position after curtseying.
- (n.) Act of regaining the position of guard after making an attack.
- (n.) The getting, or gaining, of something not previously had.
- (n.) Restoration from sickness, weakness, faintness, or the like; restoration from a condition of mistortune, of fright, etc.
- (n.) The act of recovering, regaining, or retaking possession.
- (n.) The obtaining in a suit at law of a right to something by a verdict and judgment of court.
- (n.) In rowing, the act of regaining the proper position for making a new stroke.
• Recoveror Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The demandant in a common recovery after judgment.