• Recruit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To repair by fresh supplies, as anything wasted; to remedy lack or deficiency in; as, food recruits the flesh; fresh air and exercise recruit the spirits.
- (v. t.) To supply with new men, as an army; to fill up or make up by enlistment; as, he recruited two regiments; the army was recruited for a campaign; also, to muster; to enlist; as, he recruited fifty men.
- (v. i.) To gain new supplies of anything wasted; to gain health, flesh, spirits, or the like; to recuperate; as, lean cattle recruit in fresh pastures.
- (n.) A supply of anything wasted or exhausted; a reenforcement.
- (v. t.) Hence, to restore the wasted vigor of; to renew in strength or health; to reinvigorate.
- (n.) Specifically, a man enlisted for service in the army; a newly enlisted soldier.
- (v. i.) To gain new supplies of men for military or other service; to raise or enlist new soldiers; to enlist troops.
• Recruitment Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or process of recruiting; especially, the enlistment of men for an army.