• Reeling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Reel
• Reel Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To have a whirling sensation; to be giddy.
- (n.) A machine on which yarn is wound and measured into lays and hanks, -- for cotton or linen it is fifty-four inches in circuit; for worsted, thirty inches.
- (v. i.) To incline, in walking, from one side to the other; to stagger.
- (n.) A device consisting of radial arms with horizontal stats, connected with a harvesting machine, for holding the stalks of grain in position to be cut by the knives.
- (v. t.) To roll.
- (n.) A frame with radial arms, or a kind of spool, turning on an axis, on which yarn, threads, lines, or the like, are wound; as, a log reel, used by seamen; an anglers reel; a garden reel.
- (n.) A lively dance of the Highlanders of Scotland; also, the music to the dance; -- often called Scotch reel.
- (n.) The act or motion of reeling or staggering; as, a drunken reel.
- (v. t.) To wind upon a reel, as yarn or thread.