• Refine Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities; to free from dross or alloy; to separate from extraneous matter; to purify; to defecate; as, to refine gold or silver; to refine iron; to refine wine or sugar.
- (v. i.) To improve in accuracy, delicacy, or excellence.
- (v. i.) To become pure; to be cleared of feculent matter.
- (v. i.) To affect nicety or subtilty in thought or language.
- (v. t.) To purify from what is gross, coarse, vulgar, inelegant, low, and the like; to make elegant or exellent; to polish; as, to refine the manners, the language, the style, the taste, the intellect, or the moral feelings.
• Refiner Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, refines.
• Refinement Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of refining, or the state of being refined; as, the refinement or metals; refinement of ideas.
- (n.) That which is refined, elaborated, or polished to excess; an affected subtilty; as, refinements of logic.