• Refractor Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A refracting telescope, in which the image to be viewed is formed by the refraction of light in passing through a convex lens.
- (n.) Anything that refracts
• Refractory Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A refractory person.
- (n.) OPottery) A piece of ware covered with a vaporable flux and placed in a kiln, to communicate a glaze to the other articles.
- (a.) Resisting ordinary treatment; difficult of fusion, reduction, or the like; -- said especially of metals and the like, which do not readily yield to heat, or to the hammer; as, a refractory ore.
- (a.) Obstinate in disobedience; contumacious; stubborn; unmanageable; as, a refractory child; a refractory beast.
- (n.) Refractoriness.