• Respondent Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who answers in certain suits or proceedings, generally those which are not according to the course of the common law, as in equity and admiralty causes, in petitions for partition, and the like; -- distinquished from appellant.
- (n.) One who maintains a thesis in reply, and whose province it is to refute objections, or overthrow arguments; -- distinguished from opponent.
- (a.) Disposed or expected to respond; answering; according; corresponding.
- (n.) One who responds. It corresponds in general to defendant.
• Respondentia Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A loan upon goods laden on board a ship. It differs from bottomry, which is a loan on the ship itself.