• Retainer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of keeping dependents, or the state of being in dependence.
- (n.) The act of a client by which he engages a lawyer or counselor to manage his cause.
- (n.) The act of withholding what one has in his hands by virtue of some right.
- (n.) Hence, a servant, not a domestic, but occasionally attending and wearing his masters livery.
- (n.) One who is retained or kept in service; an attendant; an adherent; a hanger-on.
- (n.) A fee paid to engage a lawyer or counselor to maintain a cause, or to prevent his being employed by the opposing party in the case; -- called also retaining fee.
- (n.) One who, or that which, retains.