• Retiring Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Reserved; shy; not forward or obtrusive; as, retiring modesty; retiring manners.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Retire
- (a.) Of or pertaining to retirement; causing retirement; suited to, or belonging to, retirement.
• Retire Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To withdraw from a public station, or from business; as, having made a large fortune, he retired.
- (v. i.) To recede; to fall or bend back; as, the shore of the sea retires in bays and gulfs.
- (n.) A call sounded on a bugle, announcing to skirmishers that they are to retire, or fall back.
- (v. i.) To go back or return; to draw back or away; to keep aloof; to withdraw or retreat, as from observation; to go into privacy; as, to retire to his home; to retire from the world, or from notice.
- (v. t.) To withdraw; to take away; -- sometimes used reflexively.
- (v. t.) To withdraw from circulation, or from the market; to take up and pay; as, to retire bonds; to retire a note.
- (v. i.) To go to bed; as, he usually retires early.
- (v. t.) To cause to retire; specifically, to designate as no longer qualified for active service; to place on the retired list; as, to retire a military or naval officer.
- (v. i.) To retreat from action or danger; to withdraw for safety or pleasure; as, to retire from battle.
- (n.) The act of retiring, or the state of being retired; also, a place to which one retires.