• Rib Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A wife; -- in allusion to Eve, as made out of Adams rib.
- (n.) A projecting mold, or group of moldings, forming with others a pattern, as on a ceiling, ornamental door, or the like.
- (n.) The chief nerve, or one of the chief nerves, of a leaf.
- (n.) One of the rods on which the cover of an umbrella is extended.
- (n.) An elongated pillar of ore or coal left as a support.
- (n.) A ridge, fin, or wing, as on a plate, cylinder, beam, etc., to strengthen or stiffen it.
- (n.) A prominent line or ridge, as in cloth.
- (n.) Any longitudinal ridge in a plant.
- (n.) In Gothic vaulting, one of the primary members of the vault. These are strong arches, meeting and crossing one another, dividing the whole space into triangles, which are then filled by vaulted construction of lighter material. Hence, an imitation of one of these in wood, plaster, or the like.
- (n.) One of the curved bones attached to the vertebral column and supporting the lateral walls of the thorax.
- (v. t.) To inclose, as with ribs, and protect; to shut in.
- (n.) A longitudinal strip of metal uniting the barrels of a double-barreled gun.
- (n.) Solid coal on the side of a gallery; solid ore in a vein.
- (v. t.) To furnish with ribs; to form with rising lines and channels; as, to rib cloth.
- (n.) One of the timbers, or bars of iron or steel, that branch outward and upward from the keel, to support the skin or planking, and give shape and strength to the vessel.
- (n.) That which resembles a rib in form or use.
• Ribald Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Low; base; mean; filthy; obscene.
- (n./) A low, vulgar, brutal, foul-mouthed wretch; a lewd fellow.