• Rifled Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Rifle
• Rifle Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A strip of wood covered with emery or a similar material, used for sharpening scythes.
- (n.) A body of soldiers armed with rifles.
- (v. i.) To commit robbery.
- (v. t.) To grove; to channel; especially, to groove internally with spiral channels; as, to rifle a gun barrel or a cannon.
- (v. t.) To raffle.
- (v. i.) To raffle.
- (n.) A gun, the inside of whose barrel is grooved with spiral channels, thus giving the ball a rotary motion and insuring greater accuracy of fire. As a military firearm it has superseded the musket.
- (v. t.) To strip; to rob; to pillage.
- (v. t.) To seize and bear away by force; to snatch away; to carry off.
- (v. t.) To whet with a rifle. See Rifle, n., 3.