• Ring Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make a ring around by cutting away the bark; to girdle; as, to ring branches or roots.
- (n.) Specifically, a circular ornament of gold or other precious material worn on the finger, or attached to the ear, the nose, or some other part of the person; as, a wedding ring.
- (v. t.) To cause to sound, especially by striking, as a metallic body; as, to ring a bell.
- (v. t.) To make (a sound), as by ringing a bell; to sound.
- (n.) The plane figure included between the circumferences of two concentric circles.
- (v. t.) To fit with a ring or with rings, as the fingers, or a swines snout.
- (n.) An instrument, formerly used for taking the suns altitude, consisting of a brass ring suspended by a swivel, with a hole at one side through which a solar ray entering indicated the altitude on the graduated inner surface opposite.
- (n.) A sound; especially, the sound of vibrating metals; as, the ring of a bell.
- (n.) A circle, or a circular line, or anything in the form of a circular line or hoop.
- (n.) Any loud sound; the sound of numerous voices; a sound continued, repeated, or reverberated.
- (n.) An inclosed space in which pugilists fight; hence, figuratively, prize fighting.
- (v. i.) To sound, as a bell or other sonorous body, particularly a metallic one.
- (n.) The solid generated by the revolution of a circle, or other figure, about an exterior straight line (as an axis) lying in the same plane as the circle or other figure.
- (n.) A circular group of persons.
- (v. t.) To repeat often, loudly, or earnestly.
- (n.) An elastic band partly or wholly encircling the spore cases of ferns. See Illust. of Sporangium.
- (v. i.) To sound loud; to resound; to be filled with a ringing or reverberating sound.
- (n.) A circular area in which races are or run or other sports are performed; an arena.
- (v. i.) To rise in the air spirally.
- (v. i.) To be filled with report or talk; as, the whole town rings with his fame.
- (n.) A chime, or set of bells harmonically tuned.
- (v. i.) To continue to sound or vibrate; to resound.
- (n.) A clique; an exclusive combination of persons for a selfish purpose, as to control the market, distribute offices, obtain contracts, etc.
- (v. i.) To practice making music with bells.
- (v. t.) To surround with a ring, or as with a ring; to encircle.
• R Definition & Synonyms
- () R, the eighteenth letter of the English alphabet, is a vocal consonant. It is sometimes called a semivowel, and a liquid. See Guide to Pronunciation, // 178, 179, and 250-254.
• Re Definition & Synonyms
- () A syllable applied in solmization to the second tone of the diatonic scale of C; in the American system, to the second tone of any diatonic scale.
• Ring-necked Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having a well defined ring of color around the neck.
• Ringdove Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A European wild pigeon (Columba palumbus) having a white crescent on each side of the neck, whence the name. Called also wood pigeon, and cushat.