• Ripe Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To mature; to ripen.
- (superl.) Maturated or suppurated; ready to discharge; -- said of sores, tumors, etc.
- (superl.) Like ripened fruit in ruddiness and plumpness.
- (superl.) Advanced to the state of fitness for use; mellow; as, ripe cheese; ripe wine.
- (superl.) Ready for action or effect; prepared.
- (superl.) Having attained its full development; mature; perfected; consummate.
- (v. i.) To ripen; to grow ripe.
- (n.) The bank of a river.
- (superl.) Intoxicated.
- (superl.) Ready for reaping or gathering; having attained perfection; mature; -- said of fruits, seeds, etc.; as, ripe grain.
• Ripeness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The state or quality of being ripe; maturity;; completeness; perfection; as, the ripeness of grain; ripeness of manhood; ripeness of judgment.
• Ripen Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To approach or come to perfection.
- (v. t.) To mature; to fit or prepare; to bring to perfection; as, to ripen the judgment.
- (v. i.) To grow ripe; to become mature, as grain, fruit, flowers, and the like; as, grapes ripen in the sun.
- (v. t.) To cause to mature; to make ripe; as, the warm days ripened the corn.