• Rook Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To squat; to ruck.
- (n.) One of the four pieces placed on the corner squares of the board; a castle.
- (n.) Mist; fog. See Roke.
- (n.) A trickish, rapacious fellow; a cheat; a sharper.
- (n.) A European bird (Corvus frugilegus) resembling the crow, but smaller. It is black, with purple and violet reflections. The base of the beak and the region around it are covered with a rough, scabrous skin, which in old birds is whitish. It is gregarious in its habits. The name is also applied to related Asiatic species.
- (v. t. & i.) To cheat; to defraud by cheating.
• Rooky Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Misty; gloomy.
• Rookery Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A breeding place of other gregarious birds, as of herons, penguins, etc.
- (n.) A dilapidated building with many rooms and occupants; a cluster of dilapidated or mean buildings.
- (n.) The breeding ground of seals, esp. of the fur seals.
- (n.) The breeding place of a colony of rooks; also, the birds themselves.
- (n.) A brothel.