• Rostrum Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A pair of forceps of various kinds, having a beaklike form.
- (n.) The Beaks; the stage or platform in the forum where orations, pleadings, funeral harangues, etc., were delivered; -- so called because after the Latin war, it was adorned with the beaks of captured vessels; later, applied also to other platforms erected in Rome for the use of public orators.
- (n.) The anterior, often spinelike, prolongation of the carapace of a crustacean, as in the lobster and the prawn.
- (n.) The beak, or sucking mouth parts, of Hemiptera.
- (n.) Same as Rostellum.
- (n.) The pipe to convey the distilling liquor into its receiver in the common alembic.
- (n.) Hence, a stage for public speaking; the pulpit or platform occupied by an orator or public speaker.
- (n.) Any beaklike prolongation, esp. of the head of an animal, as the beak of birds.
- (n.) The snout of a gastropod mollusk. See Illust. of Littorina.
- (n.) The beak or head of a ship.
• Rostrums Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Rostrum