• Rot Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A fatal distemper which attacks sheep and sometimes other animals. It is due to the presence of a parasitic worm in the liver or gall bladder. See 1st Fluke, 2.
- (n.) Process of rotting; decay; putrefaction.
- (v. i.) To undergo a process common to organic substances by which they lose the cohesion of their parts and pass through certain chemical changes, giving off usually in some stages of the process more or less offensive odors; to become decomposed by a natural process; to putrefy; to decay.
- (v. i.) Figuratively: To perish slowly; to decay; to die; to become corrupt.
- (v. t.) To expose, as flax, to a process of maceration, etc., for the purpose of separating the fiber; to ret.
- (v. t.) To make putrid; to cause to be wholly or partially decomposed by natural processes; as, to rot vegetable fiber.
- (n.) A disease or decay in fruits, leaves, or wood, supposed to be caused by minute fungi. See Bitter rot, Black rot, etc., below.
• Rotella Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of small, polished, brightcolored gastropods of the genus Rotella, native of tropical seas.
• Roting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Rote