• Roving Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Rove
- (n.) The act of one who roves or wanders.
- (n.) A roll or sliver of wool or cotton drawn out and slightly twisted; a rove. See 2d Rove, 2.
- (n.) The operatin of forming the rove, or slightly twisted sliver or roll of wool or cotton, by means of a machine for the purpose, called a roving frame, or roving machine.
• Rove Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Reeve
- (v. t.) To draw through an eye or aperture.
- (v. t.) To wander over or through.
- (v. i.) To practice robbery on the seas; to wander about on the seas in piracy.
- (v. t.) To draw out into flakes; to card, as wool.
- (n.) The act of wandering; a ramble.
- (v. i.) Hence, to wander; to ramble; to rauge; to go, move, or pass without certain direction in any manner, by sailing, walking, riding, flying, or otherwise.
- (v. i.) To shoot at rovers; hence, to shoot at an angle of elevation, not at point-blank (rovers usually being beyond the point-blank range).
- (n.) A roll or sliver of wool or cotton drawn out and slighty twisted, preparatory to further process; a roving.
- (v. t.) To plow into ridges by turning the earth of two furrows together.
- (n.) A copper washer upon which the end of a nail is clinched in boat building.
- (v. t.) To twist slightly; to bring together, as slivers of wool or cotton, and twist slightly before spinning.
• Rovingness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The state of roving.
• Rovingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a wandering manner.