• Ruby Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any species of South American humming birds of the genus Clytolaema. The males have a ruby-colored throat or breast.
- (n.) A precious stone of a carmine red color, sometimes verging to violet, or intermediate between carmine and hyacinth red. It is a red crystallized variety of corundum.
- (n.) See Agate, n., 2.
- (v. t.) To make red; to redden.
- (n.) The color of a ruby; carmine red; a red tint.
- (n.) That which has the color of the ruby, as red wine. Hence, a red blain or carbuncle.
- (a.) Ruby-colored; red; as, ruby lips.
• Ruby-tailed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having the tail, or lower part of the body, bright red.
• Rubytail Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A European gold wasp (Chrysis ignita) which has the under side of the abdomen bright red, and the other parts deep bluish green with a metallic luster. The larva is parasitic in the nests of other wasps and of bees.