• Sail Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) To move through or on the water; to swim, as a fish or a water fowl.
- (n.) A wing; a van.
- (n.) To set sail; to begin a voyage.
- (n.) A passage by a sailing vessel; a journey or excursion upon the water.
- (n.) To move smoothly through the air; to glide through the air without apparent exertion, as a bird.
- (n.) A sailing vessel; a vessel of any kind; a craft.
- (n.) An extent of canvas or other fabric by means of which the wind is made serviceable as a power for propelling vessels through the water.
- (v. t.) To direct or manage the motion of, as a vessel; as, to sail ones own ship.
- (n.) The extended surface of the arm of a windmill.
- (n.) Anything resembling a sail, or regarded as a sail.
- (n.) To be conveyed in a vessel on water; to pass by water; as, they sailed from London to Canton.
- (v. t.) To pass or move upon, as in a ship, by means of sails; hence, to move or journey upon (the water) by means of steam or other force.
- (n.) To be impelled or driven forward by the action of wind upon sails, as a ship on water; to be impelled on a body of water by the action of steam or other power.
- (v. t.) To fly through; to glide or move smoothly through.
• Sailed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Sail
• Sailable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being sailed over; navigable; as, a sailable river.