• Salt Definition & Synonyms
- () Sulphate of magnesia having cathartic qualities; -- originally prepared by boiling down the mineral waters at Epsom, England, -- whence the name; afterwards prepared from sea water; but now from certain minerals, as from siliceous hydrate of magnesia.
- (n.) Fig.: That which preserves from corruption or error; that which purifies; a corrective; an antiseptic; also, an allowance or deduction; as, his statements must be taken with a grain of salt.
- (n.) The neutral compound formed by the union of an acid and a base; thus, sulphuric acid and iron form the salt sulphate of iron or green vitriol.
- (n.) Fig.: Bitter; sharp; pungent.
- (n.) Hence, also, piquancy; wit; sense; as, Attic salt.
- (n.) Hence, flavor; taste; savor; smack; seasoning.
- (n.) The act of leaping or jumping; a leap.
- (n.) Fig.: Salacious; lecherous; lustful.
- (n.) Marshes flooded by the tide.
- (n.) A sailor; -- usually qualified by old.
- (n.) Overflowed with, or growing in, salt water; as, a salt marsh; salt grass.
- (v. t.) To fill with salt between the timbers and planks, as a ship, for the preservation of the timber.
- (n.) The chloride of sodium, a substance used for seasoning food, for the preservation of meat, etc. It is found native in the earth, and is also produced, by evaporation and crystallization, from sea water and other water impregnated with saline particles.
- (n.) A dish for salt at table; a saltcellar.
- (v. i.) To deposit salt as a saline solution; as, the brine begins to salt.
- (v. t.) To sprinkle, impregnate, or season with salt; to preserve with salt or in brine; to supply with salt; as, to salt fish, beef, or pork; to salt cattle.
- (n.) Any mineral salt used as an aperient or cathartic, especially Epsom salts, Rochelle salt, or Glaubers salt.
- (n.) Of or relating to salt; abounding in, or containing, salt; prepared or preserved with, or tasting of, salt; salted; as, salt beef; salt water.
• Saltirewise Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In the manner of a saltire; -- said especially of the blazoning of a shield divided by two lines drawn in the direction of a bend and a bend sinister, and crossing at the center.
• Saltier Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Saltire.