• Sauce Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make poignant; to give zest, flavor or interest to; to set off; to vary and render attractive.
- (v. t.) To cause to relish anything, as if with a sauce; to tickle or gratify, as the palate; to please; to stimulate; hence, to cover, mingle, or dress, as if with sauce; to make an application to.
- (n.) Sauciness; impertinence.
- (n.) A soft crayon for use in stump drawing or in shading with the stump.
- (n.) A composition of condiments and appetizing ingredients eaten with food as a relish; especially, a dressing for meat or fish or for puddings; as, mint sauce; sweet sauce, etc.
- (v. t.) To treat with bitter, pert, or tart language; to be impudent or saucy to.
- (n.) Stewed or preserved fruit eaten with other food as a relish; as, apple sauce, cranberry sauce, etc.
- (v. t.) To accompany with something intended to give a higher relish; to supply with appetizing condiments; to season; to flavor.
- (n.) Any garden vegetables eaten with meat.
• Saucer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A small pan or vessel in which sauce was set on a table.
- (n.) Something resembling a saucer in shape.
- (n.) A flat, shallow caisson for raising sunken ships.
- (n.) A small dish, commonly deeper than a plate, in which a cup is set at table.
- (n.) A shallow socket for the pivot of a capstan.
• Sauce-alone Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Jack-by-the-hedge. See under Jack.