• Say Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A speech; something said; an expression of opinion; a current story; a maxim or proverb.
- (n.) Essay; trial; attempt.
- (n.) A delicate kind of serge, or woolen cloth.
- (v. t.) To mention or suggest as an estimate, hypothesis, or approximation; hence, to suppose; -- in the imperative, followed sometimes by the subjunctive; as, he had, say fifty thousand dollars; the fox had run, say ten miles.
- (n.) Tried quality; temper; proof.
- (n.) A kind of silk or satin.
- (v. t.) To repeat; to rehearse; to recite; to pronounce; as, to say a lesson.
- (v. t.) To utter or express in words; to tell; to speak; to declare; as, he said many wise things.
- (v. i.) To speak; to express an opinion; to make answer; to reply.
- (v. t.) To try; to assay.
- (imp.) Saw.
- (n.) Trial by sample; assay; sample; specimen; smack.
- (v. t.) To announce as a decision or opinion; to state positively; to assert; hence, to form an opinion upon; to be sure about; to be determined in mind as to.
• Sayman Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who assays.