• School Definition & Synonyms
- () A French school of the middle of the 19th century centering in the village of Barbizon near the forest of Fontainebleau. Its members went straight to nature in disregard of academic tradition, treating their subjects faithfully and with poetic feeling for color, light, and atmosphere. It is exemplified, esp. in landscapes, by Corot, Rousseau, Daubigny, Jules Dupre, and Diaz. Associated with them are certain painters of animals, as Troyon and Jaque, and of peasant life, as Millet and Jules Breton.
- (n.) A place for learned intercourse and instruction; an institution for learning; an educational establishment; a place for acquiring knowledge and mental training; as, the school of the prophets.
- (v. t.) To tutor; to chide and admonish; to reprove; to subject to systematic discipline; to train.
- (n.) One of the seminaries for teaching logic, metaphysics, and theology, which were formed in the Middle Ages, and which were characterized by academical disputations and subtilties of reasoning.
- (n.) A shoal; a multitude; as, a school of fish.
- (n.) Figuratively, any means of knowledge or discipline; as, the school of experience.
- (n.) A place of primary instruction; an establishment for the instruction of children; as, a primary school; a common school; a grammar school.
- (v. t.) To train in an institution of learning; to educate at a school; to teach.
- (n.) A session of an institution of instruction.
- (n.) The disciples or followers of a teacher; those who hold a common doctrine, or accept the same teachings; a sect or denomination in philosophy, theology, science, medicine, politics, etc.
- (n.) The canons, precepts, or body of opinion or practice, sanctioned by the authority of a particular class or age; as, he was a gentleman of the old school.
- (n.) The room or hall in English universities where the examinations for degrees and honors are held.
- (n.) An assemblage of scholars; those who attend upon instruction in a school of any kind; a body of pupils.
• Schooling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of School
- (n.) Compensation for instruction; price or reward paid to an instructor for teaching pupils.
- (a.) Collecting or running in schools or shoals.
- (n.) Instruction in school; tuition; education in an institution of learning; act of teaching.
- (n.) Discipline; reproof; reprimand; as, he gave his son a good schooling.
• Schoolmaam Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A schoolmistress.