• Scrape Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To express disapprobation of, as a play, or to silence, as a speaker, by drawing the feet back and forth upon the floor; -- usually with down.
- (v. i.) To occupy ones self with getting laboriously; as, he scraped and saved until he became rich.
- (v. i.) To rub over the surface of anything with something which roughens or removes it, or which smooths or cleans it; to rub harshly and noisily along.
- (n.) A drawing back of the right foot when bowing; also, a bow made with that accompaniment.
- (v. i.) To play awkwardly and inharmoniously on a violin or like instrument.
- (v. t.) To remove by rubbing or scraping (in the sense above).
- (v. i.) To draw back the right foot along the ground or floor when making a bow.
- (n.) The act of scraping; also, the effect of scraping, as a scratch, or a harsh sound; as, a noisy scrape on the floor; a scrape of a pen.
- (v. t.) To collect by, or as by, a process of scraping; to gather in small portions by laborious effort; hence, to acquire avariciously and save penuriously; -- often followed by together or up; as, to scrape money together.
- (v. t.) To rub over the surface of (something) with a sharp or rough instrument; to rub over with something that roughens by removing portions of the surface; to grate harshly over; to abrade; to make even, or bring to a required condition or form, by moving the sharp edge of an instrument breadthwise over the surface with pressure, cutting away excesses and superfluous parts; to make smooth or clean; as, to scrape a bone with a knife; to scrape a metal plate to an even surface.
- (n.) A disagreeable and embarrassing predicament out of which one can not get without undergoing, as it were, a painful rubbing or scraping; a perplexity; a difficulty.
• Scraper Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who acquires avariciously and saves penuriously.
- (n.) An instrument drawn by oxen or horses, used for scraping up earth in making or repairing roads, digging cellars, canals etc.
- (n.) One who scrapes.
- (n.) An instrument by which the soles of shoes are cleaned from mud and the like, by drawing them across it.
- (n.) One who plays awkwardly on a violin.
- (n.) An instrument with which anything is scraped.
- (n.) In the printing press, a board, or blade, the edge of which is made to rub over the tympan sheet and thus produce the impression.
- (n.) An instrument having two or three sharp sides or edges, for cleaning the planks, masts, or decks of a ship.
• Scraped Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Scrape