• Scraped Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Scrape
• Scrap Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Specifically, a fragment of something written or printed; a brief excerpt; an unconnected extract.
- (v. t.) Same as Scrap iron, below.
- (v. t.) The crisp substance that remains after drying out animal fat; as, pork scraps.
- (v. t.) Something scraped off; hence, a small piece; a bit; a fragment; a detached, incomplete portion.
• Scrape Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To express disapprobation of, as a play, or to silence, as a speaker, by drawing the feet back and forth upon the floor; -- usually with down.
- (v. i.) To occupy ones self with getting laboriously; as, he scraped and saved until he became rich.
- (v. i.) To rub over the surface of anything with something which roughens or removes it, or which smooths or cleans it; to rub harshly and noisily along.
- (n.) A drawing back of the right foot when bowing; also, a bow made with that accompaniment.
- (v. i.) To play awkwardly and inharmoniously on a violin or like instrument.
- (v. t.) To remove by rubbing or scraping (in the sense above).
- (v. i.) To draw back the right foot along the ground or floor when making a bow.
- (n.) The act of scraping; also, the effect of scraping, as a scratch, or a harsh sound; as, a noisy scrape on the floor; a scrape of a pen.
- (v. t.) To collect by, or as by, a process of scraping; to gather in small portions by laborious effort; hence, to acquire avariciously and save penuriously; -- often followed by together or up; as, to scrape money together.
- (v. t.) To rub over the surface of (something) with a sharp or rough instrument; to rub over with something that roughens by removing portions of the surface; to grate harshly over; to abrade; to make even, or bring to a required condition or form, by moving the sharp edge of an instrument breadthwise over the surface with pressure, cutting away excesses and superfluous parts; to make smooth or clean; as, to scrape a bone with a knife; to scrape a metal plate to an even surface.
- (n.) A disagreeable and embarrassing predicament out of which one can not get without undergoing, as it were, a painful rubbing or scraping; a perplexity; a difficulty.