• Scratch Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) In various sports, the line from which the start is made, except in the case of contestants receiving a distance handicap.
- (a.) Made, done, or happening by chance; arranged with little or no preparation; determined by circumstances; haphazard; as, a scratch team; a scratch crew for a boat race; a scratch shot in billiards.
- (n.) A break in the surface of a thing made by scratching, or by rubbing with anything pointed or rough; a slight wound, mark, furrow, or incision.
- (n.) Minute, but tender and troublesome, excoriations, covered with scabs, upon the heels of horses which have been used where it is very wet or muddy.
- (v. i.) To score, not by skillful play but by some fortunate chance of the game.
- (n.) A kind of wig covering only a portion of the head.
- (v. t.) To rub and tear or mark the surface of with something sharp or ragged; to scrape, roughen, or wound slightly by drawing something pointed or rough across, as the claws, the nails, a pin, or the like.
- (v. t.) To dig or excavate with the claws; as, some animals scratch holes, in which they burrow.
- (v. t.) To cancel by drawing one or more lines through, as the name of a candidate upon a ballot, or of a horse in a list; hence, to erase; to efface; -- often with out.
- (v. t.) To write or draw hastily or awkwardly.
- (n.) A shot which scores by chance and not as intended by the player; a fluke.
- (n.) A line across the prize ring; up to which boxers are brought when they join fight; hence, test, trial, or proof of courage; as, to bring to the scratch; to come up to the scratch.
- (v. i.) To use the claws or nails in tearing or in digging; to make scratches.
• Scratchy Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Characterized by scratches.
• Scratch coat Definition & Synonyms
- () The first coat in plastering; -- called also scratchwork. See Pricking-up.