• Search Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) The act of seeking or looking for something; quest; inquiry; pursuit for finding something; examination.
- (v. i.) To seek; to look for something; to make inquiry, exploration, or examination; to hunt.
- (v. t.) To examine; to try; to put to the test.
- (v. t.) To examine or explore by feeling with an instrument; to probe; as, to search a wound.
- (v. t.) To look over or through, for the purpose of finding something; to examine; to explore; as, to search the city.
- (v. t.) To inquire after; to look for; to seek.
• Searcher Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, searhes or examines; a seeker; an inquirer; an examiner; a trier.
- (n.) Formerly, an officer in London appointed to examine the bodies of the dead, and report the cause of death.
- (n.) An implement for sampling butter; a butter trier.
- (n.) An instrument for examining the bore of a cannon, to detect cavities.
- (n.) An inspector of leather.
- (n.) An officer of the customs whose business it is to search ships, merchandise, luggage, etc.
- (n.) An instrument for feeling after calculi in the bladder, etc.