• Secondaries Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Secondary
• Secondary Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Possessing some quality, or having been subject to some operation (as substitution), in the second degree; as, a secondary salt, a secondary amine, etc. Cf. primary.
- (n.) A secondary quill.
- (a.) Acting by deputation or delegated authority; as, the work of secondary hands.
- (a.) Dependent or consequent upon another disease; as, Brights disease is often secondary to scarlet fever. (b) Occuring in the second stage of a disease; as, the secondary symptoms of syphilis.
- (a.) Subsequent in origin; -- said of minerals produced by alteertion or deposition subsequent to the formation of the original rocks mass; also of characters of minerals (as secondary cleavage, etc.) developed by pressure or other causes.
- (n.) A satellite.
- (a.) Pertaining to the second joint of the wing of a bird.
- (a.) Suceeding next in order to the first; of second place, origin, rank, rank, etc.; not primary; subordinate; not of the first order or rate.
- (n.) A secondary circle.
- (n.) One who occupies a subordinate, inferior, or auxiliary place; a delegate deputy; one who is second or next to the chief officer; as, the secondary, or undersheriff of the city of London.