• Secure Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make safe; to relieve from apprehensions of, or exposure to, danger; to guard; to protect.
- (v. t.) To put beyond hazard of losing or of not receiving; to make certain; to assure; to insure; -- frequently with against or from, rarely with of; as, to secure a creditor against loss; to secure a debt by a mortgage.
- (v. t.) To make fast; to close or confine effectually; to render incapable of getting loose or escaping; as, to secure a prisoner; to secure a door, or the hatches of a ship.
- (a.) Overconfident; incautious; careless; -- in a bad sense.
- (v. t.) To get possession of; to make ones self secure of; to acquire certainly; as, to secure an estate.
- (a.) Free from fear, care, or anxiety; easy in mind; not feeling suspicion or distrust; confident.
- (a.) Confident in opinion; not entertaining, or not having reason to entertain, doubt; certain; sure; -- commonly with of; as, secure of a welcome.
- (a.) Net exposed to danger; safe; -- applied to persons and things, and followed by against or from.
• Secureness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The condition or quality of being secure; exemption from fear; want of vigilance; security.
• Secured Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Secure