• Sermon Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To tutor; to lecture.
- (n.) Hence, a serious address; a lecture on ones conduct or duty; an exhortation or reproof; a homily; -- often in a depreciatory sense.
- (n.) A discourse or address; a talk; a writing; as, the sermons of Chaucer.
- (v. i.) To speak; to discourse; to compose or deliver a sermon.
- (v. t.) To discourse to or of, as in a sermon.
- (n.) Specifically, a discourse delivered in public, usually by a clergyman, for the purpose of religious instruction and grounded on some text or passage of Scripture.
• Sermonic Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Alt. of Sermonical
• Sermonish Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Resembling a sermon.