• Serpent Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Fig.: A subtle, treacherous, malicious person.
- (v. t.) To wind; to encircle.
- (n.) A bass wind instrument, of a loud and coarse tone, formerly much used in military bands, and sometimes introduced into the orchestra; -- so called from its form.
- (n.) The constellation Serpens.
- (n.) A species of firework having a serpentine motion as it passess through the air or along the ground.
- (n.) Any reptile of the order Ophidia; a snake, especially a large snake. See Illust. under Ophidia.
- (v. i.) To wind like a serpent; to crook about; to meander.
• Serpentaria Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) The fibrous aromatic root of the Virginia snakeroot (Aristolochia Serpentaria).